Get Bill’s Cycling Books
Cycling the Pacific Coast: The Complete Guide from Canada to Mexico
“Thorness’ mind for detail and eye for what’s best about the West makes him an adviser you can trust…” — Brian J. Cantwell, Outdoors Editor, The Seattle Times
“Cycling the Pacific Coast is the perfect companion guide for planning and navigating one of the most beautiful cycling routes on the planet!” — Jim Sayer, Executive Director, Adventure Cycling Association
“…the definitive guidebook for those traveling the 2,000 miles from Vancouver, BC, to the Mexican border.” — Gene Bisbee, BikingBis
Travel the Pacific Coast border to border with author Bill Thorness as he discovers crashing surf, rocky headlands, epic coastal climbs, deep forests, wide sand beaches, seaside burgs and vibrant cities.
In the book:
- Turn-by-turn guide to the entire Pacific Coast Bicycle Route, which largely follows the Adventure Cycling Association’s map set.
- Flavors of the cities: Street and trail tours of the major cities along the route: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.
- Luxe getaways: visit Victoria BC, lower Vancouver Island, San Juan Islands, Hoh Rain Forest, Columbia River, giant redwood forests, and craggy Big Sur.
- Wine country stopovers: Willamette Valley, Russian River Valley, and Santa Ynez Valley.
- Unique coastal sights: barking sea lions, towering sea stacks and teeming tidepools; the Lewis & Clark Trail, oceanside campgrounds; beachfront boardwalks; strategically placed coffee huts, gourmet delis, ice cream stops and fish taco stands.
- Incredible views: glide along the ocean surf, spin through farm and ranchland, coast Avenue of the Giants, pedal the Golden Gate Bridge, gawk at Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach, and so much more.
Cycling the Pacific Coast is the most popular cycle touring route in the U.S., and a bucket-list adventure.
Biking Puget Sound: 60 Rides from Olympia to the San Juans – 2nd Edition
Updated, expanded and completely refreshed for its 2nd edition, Biking Puget Sound provides endless recreational outings by bike.
Included are 60 scenic, entertaining and challenging rides for cyclists of all levels. The routes, covering nine Western Washington counties, utilize all major regional paved bike trails as well as the best designated street bike lanes, suburban routes and scenic rural roads.
- Each ride includes a map and a turn-by-turn route guide.
- An elevation profile shows an overview of the terrain on each ride.
- An engaging narrative tells readers what to expect on each route.
- A locator map and quick reference guide with difficulty, length and highlights enable readers to quickly choose appropriate rides.
- Camping options help you plan bike overnights and longer self-supported biking vacations.
- New public transit directions and GPS coordinates are given for each ride’s starting point.
- Downloadable cue sheets for each route provide an easy reference to take along on the ride.
“This guide is a great resource.” — University Bookstore Staff Favorites
In Biking Puget Sound, readers will learn the best commuting routes, safest trails for biking with young children and most scenic routes for sightseeing, visiting regional attractions, picnicking and gathering with other cyclists.
- Discover routes that make it possible to bicycle virtually anywhere within the region.
- Find varied terrain and destinations that can be ridden right from home, and other great routes that are within an hour’s drive of Seattle.
- Take in the diverse neighborhoods of Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia, as well as dozens of desirable suburban communities and quaint small towns.
- Enjoy the highlights of our lush countryside, from fertile farmland to saltwater harbors.
Added features to make Biking Puget Sound an indispensable resource for regional cyclists include a five-ride, four-island tour of the San Juan Islands; information on bike commuting and safety gear; and resources for access to regional cycling clubs, advocacy organizations and area bike maps.